TOMORROW IS THE DAY! What better way to celebrate than with Chocolate Cupcakes?
Flowers will be sold out, hearts will be big, confetti will be everywhere and chocolate will be bountiful!
I’m a real sucker for Valentine’s Day, I’m overly sentimental on most days and February 14 is one of the few days where I am allowed to be lame shame-free.
Yesterday I received the best gift from the Vega team here in Vancouver. Kitchen Cures by Peggy Kotsopoulos. It was inside this gem of a cookbook where I found THESE (below) and had to share them with you because they are perfect for tomorrow’s festivities!
Whip them up really quick – or be sad you didn’t!
MACA CHOCOLATE BABYCAKES WITH CHERRY CASHEW FROSTING
A sexy dessert featuring chocolate and maca — a combo sure to get you in the mood! Plus, these mini-cupcakes are totally moist, fluffy and decadent, and they’re good for you- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground chia
– 1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
– 1 ripe banana
– 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
– 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnut butter (or almond butter)
– 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
– 1 cup (250 ml) almond milk
– 1/2 cup (125 ml) coconut sugar
– 1 cup (250 ml) brown rice flour
– 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooked quinoa
– 3 tbsp (45 ml) maca powder
– 1/3 cup (75 ml) cocoa powder
– 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
– 1 tsp (5 ml) non-aluminum baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– chopped walnuts
For the cherry-cashew frosting:
– 2 tsp (10 ml) almond extract
– 2 cups (500 ml) raw cashews
– 1/3 cup (75 ml) maple syrup
– 2 cups (500 ml) pitted cherries
– 3 tbsp (50 ml) coconut milk or almond milk
1. To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C)
2. Place ground chia in a small bowl. Add water and mix with a fork. Set aside for gel to form. Mash banana in a large bowl, then add oil, nut butter, vanilla, and milk and stir to mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until incorporated.
3. Grease muffin tins with coconut oil. Drop in batter and bake 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. To make the frosting, add all ingredients to a high-power blender abd blend until thick and smooth. Adjust coconut milk as necessary so that mixture is thick enough to hold up as a frosting.
5. Add frosting to piping bag and frost mini cupcakse.