Today, I am ringing in the Chinese Lunar New Year with CF Pacific Centre and I couldn’t be more excited! Chinese New Year has been something we have celebrated in Vancouver during most of our lives so you really learn to appreciate the holiday and what it means for others. In celebration of this time of year, I will be sharing my favourite RED items that can be found at CF Pacific Centre (and maybe even one or two in Richmond too!)
For those of you who may not know, red is a very important colour in Chinese culture. Red symbolizes good fortune and joy and is often found everywhere during Chinese New Year. Traditionally, a red envelope is handed out to the children in families. It’s usually a monetary gift and tends to be given in Chinese society during holiday or special occasions. The red colour of the packet symbolizes good luck for the person it’s given to.
Chinese Lunar New Year is an important holiday in this culture and is celebrated at the turn of their traditional calendar. One of the most magical parts of this holiday is how passionate people are about celebrating it together whether they are Chinese or not. Here in Vancouver I have been celebrating the holiday in school since I was young and have a crazy amount of respect for this time. It’s a beautiful sight to head down to the beach and celebrate by lighting the lanterns with your peers. The holiday is so widely acknowledged that I was once given a red envelope by an old boss and I remember feeling really flattered by this gesture.
CF Pacific Centre is celebrating this holiday locally by giving away some awesome prizes to local customers when they shop.
- The first 100 people to purchase a CF SHOP! card valued at $100 or more will receive a pair of earrings from PANDORA
- They will be holding a Lion Dance Ceremony for shoppers February 9, 2016
- They will be distributing 200 lucky red envelopes each stuffed with a $10 CF SHOP! card at this Lion Dance Ceremony
- Guest Services will be wearing red dresses from Banana Republic
- Decor features 200 red lanterns in their pavilion off Georgia and Howe Street
- Lastly, CF will be “painting the town red” February 1 – 14 at which time they will surprise several lucky Vancouverites with red accessories to keep from CF Pacific Centre
In honour of this amazing celebration, I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my FAVOURITE red pieces that you can shop at CF Pacific Centre during the celebration.
First up are these red pumps from Nine West. They are classic and versatile and will add the right amount of POP to a plain black outfit. These shoes can be purchased at both CF Pacific Centre and CF Richmond Centre in case you don’t plan on attending the celebrations.
Next I picked the Kate Spade bag. Basically I’m thinking of it as a Red Envelope in purse form, that holds just as much value on the outside as it would on the inside if it were filled with coins!
Lastly, I picked this red dress from Nordstrom. I love how simple and modern it is. It has the shape that is going to flatter anyone that wears it, making it the perfect number to wear to your New Year Celebrations!